Thursday, December 29, 2005

Wanky Art Post

(Note: The wanky art posts are called such not because I believe the art to be wanky, but because I feel wanky posting about them since I don't really know much about art)

While "working" yesterday, I came across the website of one Mizna Wada, who I would describe as the bastard love child of two of my favourite horror manga artists: Suehiro Maruo & Hadeshi Hino; with a little Junko Mizuno thrown in for good measure. Although her straight up horror work seems to owe more to Maruo than anything, her other work does have a nice trashy pop sensibility and the requisite obsession with Blythe dolls. Particularly Maruo-esque is the Sideshow collection which directly recalls Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show (which was made into a heartbreaking animated short called Midori that I cannot recommend highly enough, if you can gets your hands on it.)

My other favourite bit is Miss Kidora's 12 Transformation, a paperdoll set made on a Print Gocco. Sadly, it doesn't look like the site has been updated since last year, so I have no idea what she is up to now, but all in all a nice little webbased discovery.

No comments: