Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year!


Just got back from my baachan's house where, as is tradition, I stuffed myself stupid. New year's is a big deal in Japanese culture, and while it used to be celebrated according to the lunar calendar like in China & Korea, they decided to change it in 1873. Which means that come January 1rst, no matter how hungover and skanky I feel, it is my duty to clean myself off and join my family at my baachan's house so that we can eat fresh sashimi (the only time of year my baachan actually splashes out on raw tuna) & try not to make too many faces at the stinky New Year's soup that only my mom will eat. Went pretty easy on the sake considering the events of the night before (I'll get to that another day) & was pretty disappointed at the lack of mochi. Especially since the frozen mochi my sister had brought last night was dried out & tough, although she did promise to buy me a mochi machine when she goes to Japan. That would be sweet.

(The graphic is from a traditional New Year's Card or nengajyo that you can buy through this site.)

No comments: