Sunday, December 25, 2005

Movies I Watched Instead of Writing Part 10

King Kong [2005] -- Not really sure it's worth even writing about it since I doubt I have much to add that hasn't already been said by about a bazillion people. Enjoyed it very much, although I don't think it needed to be 3 whole hours long. And the slow-mo (especially in a film of this length) was unforgiveable. The bugs are very creepy & scary and I had to close my eyes for those parts. And Naiomi Watts has kind eyes. And I love Jaime Bell. Also, Colin Hanks would make a very good Jimmy Olsen. The in-jokes were nice, although someone should just make a movie about Merian C. Cooper's life. That would be awesome.

The Brothers Grimm [2005] -- Didn't even finish this one. Fell asleep. Gilliam is just so hit and miss, it's infuriating. This is definitely a miss, although there are glimmers, but not enough to sustain my interest. Played out more like a lame immitation of a Gilliam film.

Robot Jox [1990] -- Due to the ad-hock nature of last week's movie night, I decided not to do a column about it, so I'll talk about the movies here. Cheesy yet compelling Stuart Gordon low-budget sci-fi. In fact, the more Stuart Gordon I see, the more I wonder why I haven't seen Re-Animator yet (yeah, I know, what's wrong with me?). Sadly Jeffrey Combs only has the tiniest of cameos, but recognizing Anne-Marie Johnson from In Living Color was worth a couple of laughs and Paul Koslo rules my world.

Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs [1974] -- The other choice from that night was a bit of a disappointment, considering the hype around it. Miki Sugimoto (Sukeban Guerilla) is cute, but she certainly doesn't have the icy cool of Meiko Kaji or the mad-dog rage of Reiko Ike. Maybe it's just that I've seen so much Pinky Violence at this point, but for some reason it didn't really stand out for me that way I hoped it would.

Alyas Batman & Robin [1993] -- The Phillipino Batman & Robin Musical. Included as a freebee with our order from B-Video 101, this is a gift I will cherish for quite some time. Nothing I can say could possibly prepare you for this movie, so please just go to Bryan's site and buy yourself a copy. Amazing.

No comments: