Friday, November 11, 2005

Seattle, Rock'n, Pleaseeasaur & Neil Hamburger


And the fun just keeps on coming. After a particularly debaucherous night of karaoke on Wednesday, got into a truck w/ Owen at the ungodly hour of 8:30AM & drove down to Seattle so that he could pick-up some stuff & I could see Miyuki & Christian for the first time since I witnessed their wedding. Took longer than expected, mostly because of construction and a crapload of traffic. Couldn't have helped that we were both operating on about 4 hours sleep. Thank you, Penguin Mints (god I'm a nerd). Got to hang out for about 2 hours & eat some rather good Thai food before we had to get back onto the road so that I could get to the Pleaseeasaur/Neil Hamburger show @ the Railway.

Although we were told doors were at 8:30PM, I knew from experience that nothing would be happening 'till at least 11PM. Wandered down with Brendan around 9:15PM & immediately realized what a bad venue The Railway Club was for the show. Although a great bar, the stage area is very small & I was forced to sit for most of the show, but that wasn't really even that bad since I was right up front & center for Pleaseeasaur & Neil. Did manage to stand through the opening act's set: the amazing Rock'n. Even had to spot their guitarist "Rick Rock'n" as he climbed onto a tiny bar table for his triumphant solo. Graeme described them as "kind of like Wesley Willis meets Andrew W. K." Highlights include Joey, the lead singer's fanny-pack & a particularly kick-ass cover of Neil Young's "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World". Was a little disappointed to find out they weren't actually from Cincinnati, but not really that surprised. Graeme seemed surprised to find out that I am a Neil Young fan.

Next up was Pleaseeasaur, which was awesome because only Mike & I had seen him before & I spent much of the night scanning the bar for everyone else's reactions. A lot of mouthed "Oh. My. Gods." He didn't do "Meat Flavored Island" (Parts I or II), which was disappointing, but all in all it was classic Pleaseeasaur.

By the time Neil Hamburger actually hit the stage, Brendan & I had to make a pact that one of us would make sure the other one got home. I'm enjoying my renewed alcohol tolerance. Another reason it was good we were sitting down, although it did make me think I was back in kindergarten. Neil the man was in fine form, calling out the drunk girl who threw stuff at him & refusing to do "Zipper Lips" because of the lame quality of the heckling. After the show, Neil even mingled with the crowd:



Kinda wish I could remember more details, but an awesome show none the less.

No comments: