Thursday, March 06, 2008

Go See This Band


As I stated in an earlier post, I have decided to start getting back into music, and it was with that end in mind that I accept my friend Chris B.'s invitation to the Creature album release party last night. The fact that it was on a weeknight did concern me a little, but then I decided to stop being a wuss and start living a little. Moving to a whole new city really has allowed me to "reboot" my life, and getting out more has definitely been a goal of mine. Although L. never really got into the live music scene growing up the same way I did, he has been very enthusiastic about going to more concerts, especially after I dragged him to the CPC Gangbangs in January. Luckily, Creature is right up L.'s alley.

I don't know if they'll be playing Vancouver anytime soon, but they seem to have played every bar, club, warehouse and basement in the metro Montreal/Quebec area and it shows in their enthusiastic stage manner and expert musicianship. If I had to describe them, I'd say they were reminiscent of Franz Ferdinand with some B52's, a little Talking Heads, a little Prince and a lot more cowbell. While they are essentially a dance-rock band, the lyrics are often surprisingly intelligent and they don't shy away from political subject matter ("Last Days of America", "Kandahar") and even managed a ballad during the encore ("Star"). But mostly it's about having fun and being yourself and what's cooler than that?

You can download their album here.
Also, check out their music on MySpace & Facebook.

Absolutely go see them if you have the chance, before they get too popular and you have to pretend they suck.

No comments: