Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Top 5 of 2007

Normally I abhor top whatever lists and avoid them like the plague. Too simplistic and arbitrary for my taste. But being that I haven't written about film in FOREVER, a list seemed like the simplest and most elegant way to jump back into it. So with the Oscars right around the corner here's a list of my top 5 favourite movies of 2007:

1. No Country for Old Men - Dir. Coen Brothers: This movie deserves every bit of praise that is being heaped upon it and then some. And I actually loved the ending, which many people have complained about. I'm sure being raised on Westerns has contributed to my appreciation for the film, and I consider this a better representation of a modern Western than most things that have come along. My boy Josh Brolin was the star for me, although Javier Bardem is great. But we kinda expect that from him. Brolin is the son of a B-actor married to Barbara Streisand and he used to be engaged to Mimi Driver, so nobody really expects much of anything from him, but his portrayal of the classic Western anti-hero was nuanced and brilliantly crafted. That said, I can't actually think of a single bad performance in the whole thing. The violence that turned some people off was integral to the story and particularly the ending. Easily one of the Coens' best ever.

2. Juno - Dir. Ivan Reitman: If I had to describe this movie in one word, it would be easy: lovely. Sweet, profane, smart and extremely life affirming. While one friend dismissed the dialogue as "too hip", only one character was particularly hip in their speech and they were treated as an oddity by the other characters. And, it's a movie. People are supposed to be hipper, smarter, cuter and funnier. Otherwise I'd save my money and call a friend. It's also nice to see smart people having babies.

3. Control - Dir. Anton Corbijn: Okay, fine, so I'm a little biased on this one. But my only caveat is that it did drag a little in areas, particularly for those not already familiar with the story. Emily Watson was the perfect choice to play Deborah Curtis and the painterly framing and lighting was a marvel to watch. The decision to use the actor's performances in the musical sequences was also inspired. An awespiscious feature film debut and one that sadly I doubt Corbijn will be able to live up to.

4. Blackbook - Dir. Paul Verhoeven: Although technically released in 2006, it didn't make it to North America until 2007 so I'm going to count it. Surprisingly restrained for Verhoeven (despite some full frontal nudity and a lady covered in shit), his return to Holland and his reunion with writer Gerard Soeteman is his strongest work in years. A little old fashioned in tone, it's essentially a female version of his previous WWII adventure epic Soldier of Orange. I won't try recapping the plot, because it's just get messy real fast, but imaging mixing the Great Escape with Turkish Delight and you'll be half-way there. Also, Carice Van Houten should become an international superstar.

5. TIE Eastern Promises Dir. - David Cronnenberg / Michael Clayton - Dir. Tony Gilroy: Because I couldn't come up with a full 10, I decided to cheat a little and include a tie and an honourable mention. I put these films together because while they were both better than they should have been, the plots were too conventional to make them stand-out enough for me. Eastern Promises survives largely on the strength of Viggo Mortensen's performance, and while I have to admit I did not see the final twist coming, the storyline did seem to tie up a little too neatly for a Cronnenberg film. Thematically, A History of Violence is easily masterpiece, but Eastern Promises would not have been as good as it was without a director willing to go to those darkest places. Michael Clayton is also a triumph of directing, coupled with very, very strong writing. All of the actors are at the top of their game. Essentially a corporate thriller, Tom Wilkinson's portrayal of a man having a nervous breakdown and a bipolar episode is uncomfortably realistic.

Honourable mention: There Will Be Blood - Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson: My dislike of PT Anderson is well known to those I am closest too, and I have been known to go on long spite filled rants when asked my opinion of the self-proclaimed auteur. However, it looks more and more like my rants are based on my feelings towards one film, Magnolia, and that I am not alone in considering this Mr. Anderson's weakest and most self-indulgent work. Arguably, most of his work falls under the category of "self-indulgent", but with TWBB his talent as a filmmaker can no longer be debated. A harrowing epic of one thoroughly unlikable man's climb to the top, comparisons to "Citizen Kane" are not out of place even if Anderson's film is that much more sinister and bleak. There is an old fashioned elegance borrowed from Wells at work in the film, which helps to temper some of the more eccentric and over the top choices, and the grounding in gritty reality provides the humanity that Day Lewis' character lacks. Which brings me to my central point regarding the film. The film is about one man, and that man is Daniel Day Lewis and though cliched, tour-de-force is the only real description of what he delivers. Paul Dano also distinguishes himself as being able to hold his own against Lewis, no small feat.

2 comments:

Shockah Karl said...

Anything creepy on it.

Meeko said...

Thanks, Karl.