Thursday, January 31, 2008

Resolution Self-Evaluation

So it's been about 4 weeks since I started on my various self improvement programs and now seems like as good a time as any to take stock. So, how did I do? Well, if you've bothered to check this blog since I started, you've probably noticed which resolution I was least successful with. There are various excuses I could dredge up to account for my lack of bloggy-ness, the fact that L is monopolizing our one computer probably being the most pertinent, but dreaming of my own MacBook Air isn't really helping anything and I'm happy his writing, editing, composing and trying to find a new job.

Oddly enough the two resolutions I am having the most success with are the most mundane: flossing and eating more apples. I am also doing pretty good on avoiding sugary things (I have pretty much cut out all snacking) and exercising (4 - 5 times a week). I've even managed to drop 5 pounds and keep it off for a whole week. Yeah me! I try to do three to four 20 - 30 minute workouts during the week before I get ready for work and then one hour long cardio workout on the weekend. If our weekend activities include cardio heavy activities such as dancing or ice skating, then I usually skip my extra weekend workout. The side benefits of exercising so frequently are that I sleep much better and I have more energy. I don't even need my morning tea anymore (I gave up coffee years ago due to stomach acid issues I nicknamed the "proto-ulcer"). When not felled by a cold I can get up at 7:00 A.M. with no problems and I don't really start to feel saggy until 4:00 PM or later, which usually just means I need dinner. Also, my jeans fit better, even when I'm wearing long-johns under them!

The eating allergens thing has been going okay, but I do admit to drinking a few beers here and there or forgetting to tell servers to omit certain things. Most recently I was confronted by the fact that both of my herbal teas at home contain lemon peel, which does in fact make me itchy. But the fact that I have been able to resist the temptation of eggs bennedict for an entire month is some at least I am proud of.

As for the blogging, I'm going to try a couple things over the next month and see how they work out:
1) Take advantage of my slow periods at work, of which there are many right now, to make notes or start/finish posts in gmail.
2) Stockpile posts developed in this manner to improve my consistency.

I had been hesitant to blog while at work, but for some reason writing my posts in gmail and then posting them later when I get home doesn't seem as bad to me. I am fortunate to be working somewhere that understands that we have slow periods and doesn't mind if you use that time to check Facebook, write emails or catch-up on your gossip as long as the work you do get assigned gets finished in a timely fashion. My workload can change drastically from one day to the next, so instead of trolling the nets for some way to entertain myself, I figure I should get over myself and take advantage of this gift of time. Of course this would be a different matter if I was posting trade secrets about my company, or making money off my blog, which given that it is invite only would be pretty hard.

No comments: