Wednesday, December 08, 2004

For Those of You Who Care

So I finally got off my butt and wrote another D.o.S. column. You can read it on Film Threat here.

Also, in case you were wondering where I've been, below is a list of movies I've watched recently instead on writing my column. With thumbnail reviews and star ratings for enjoyability.

Seoul Train [2004] ****
Devastating documentary about the North Korean underground railroad and the people who risk their lives running it.

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack [2001] ***
I've never really been a big Godzilla nut, but this one returns to the original themes of war and devastation and is really exciting to watch. Also, I love Baragon.

Predator [1987] **
No really. I've never seen it before. Actually pretty damn good for what it is.

Elf [2003] ***
If you're not a fan of Will Ferrell you probably shouldn't bother because you just won't like it.

Chronicles of Riddick [2004] **
I call this a throw back movie. Very 1980's sci-fi (think, smashing you over the head with metaphor without a hint of irony). Still, I did fall asleep during one the many 'splosion scenes.

Shrek 2 [2004] ***
PUSS IN BOOTS!!! Other than that, more of the same. Beginning to think Mike Meyers should have been assassinated shortly after the first Austin Powers movie.

The Machinist [2004] ***
I really like this movie, but I'll admit up front, there ain't much to it. Viewing it in the context of Hitchcock helps.

To Catch a Thief [1955] ****
Speaking of Hitchcock. Carey Grant is uber-smooth and Grace Kelly is the pinnacle of elegant.

The Incredibles [2004] ****
Entertaining, exciting and great for nerds and kids alike. A near perfect family movie.

The Iron Giant [1999] ****
Another excellent family film by Brad Bird that had both the boy and I crying like little girls. Tragically underrated and totally mismarketed when it came out.

Hero [2002] ****
Enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. The historical context makes the story even more compelling. Also, Jet Li doesn't suck in it.

Love Actually [2003] ***
Enjoyed this more the second time around. A good warm fuzzy kind of movie to watch with your mom.

Dodgeball [2004] **
Rip Torn makes this movie.

Bourne Supremacy [2004] ****
Really liked the first one (although I have one problem with it), and the sequel similarly succeeds in being a surprising, smarter than average action movie. Also has one of the best car chases captured on celluloid.

More added as I think of them.

ETA:
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask [1972] ****
Although I do enjoy Woody Allen's work (I have no opinion on his latest films as I have not yet seen them, but I'm not jumping over myself to do so either), I admittedly have not seen most of his early films. The boy and I sat down to rectify this and I have to say it was great. Soooo funny. And it boasts an amazing cast.

No comments: