Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Not Sure How To Feel About This...

As some of you know, I am a HUGE Joy Division fan. Seriously, ask me anything. Well, it's been rumored for a while now, but apparently it's finally official, they're making the Ian Curtis movie. Tony Wilson's signed on and everything. It's going to be based on the Deborah Curtis book, which if you're at all interested in JD or Ian is totally worth reading. Her honesty is heartbreaking and offers an interesting perspective that is appropriately summed up by the title, aside from it being a lyric from one of his songs. I'd kinda been hoping that 24 Hour Party People was going to be it for Joy Division movies, especially since it was such a great film and I think the way they handled Ian and his suicide was perfect in that it was very respectful and managed to preserve the mystique. The Tony Wilson novel which accompanies the film is also very good and goes into a bit more detail about Ian's final days, but again from an outsider's perspective, which frankly is much more interesting than straight up speculation from an unauthorized third party. I checked out the director's bio and he seems okay. Haven't really since much of his stuff, but at least he's into music. It definitely has the potential to be a good movie: tortured artist, love, betrayal, great music, infighting. I just hope they don't fuck it up.

Oh, and if you want more info, the BBC site also has a blurb on their biggest hit and a quiz. For the record, it took me less than a minute to complete and I got five out of five.

2 comments:

christian said...

meh, I got three out of five. which is pretty good considering I probably couldn't name any of their songs other than their one hit...

Irrational said...

I think I tied with Meeko. By th etime I finished reading the gist of each question I knew the answer. 24 Party People should have answered most of em, but I don't think they mentioned the BUzzcocks gig, or the Warsaw thing.

Movie could be ok....I'll see it...possibly with frosted hair and eyeliner.