Sunday, July 04, 2004

And we're off...

So, the adventure has begun. Started off running to the train station yesterday morning since as usual we were running behind. Got to the station just in time to find out that our 8:15 bus was actually an 8:45 bus, but that we had to wait for the ticket booth to open at 8:15 because we bought out tickets online and didn't physically have them yet. But the ticket window didn't open at 8:15, it opened at closer to 8:25 despite the number of people milling around behind the ticket booth not really doing anything. Then we find out that the machine that prints the tickets isn't working and they have to labouriously write out a receipt by hand (with perfect deliberate handwriting no less) so that we can get on our bus. Despite all this the bus to Seattle was actually quite uneventful. Got to the hotel in Surrey (one of two pick-up stops on the way to the border) just as a horse drawn carriage carrying the groom in an Indian wedding arrived and the bride's family and all of the guests were out front to meet him. Quite cool.

Even on day one this is shaping up to be an ultimate film nerd vacation. Killed time downtown by (finally) watching Fahrenheit 911. I did enjoy it, although I know to take most Michael Moore stuff with a grain of salt. A lot of what was covered were things I was already aware of thanks in large part to the CBC and the Daily Show. Still worth seeing if only for the debate it is creating. After some very good (and very greasy) pizza and American beer (which I can drink oddly enough) courtesy of Xian it was decided that instead of the midnight show of The Muppets Take Manhattan that I had originally suggested we would go see the director's cut of Donnie Darko since it was unlikely to ever see the light of day up in Canadia. Although I did really enjoy the film the first time I saw it on DVD, the new edition does help to clarify a few things and ultimately ended up increasing my enjoyment of the original edition, although I feel that the original should be the definitive cut, if that makes any sense. Later relaxed in the laboratory with Miyuki, Xian and Xian's friend Brian (with the awesome green muscle car) watching some Red Dwarf and then off to bed.

Now it's off to the U District after I play with Xian's wily little kitten some more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too felt the director’s cut of Donnie Darko was much clearer than the original. Subtle yet informative clues were included in this version making it easier to understand. But with a better understanding the movie loses some of its magic. There is something about leaving the theater confused, left to draw your own conclusions, and debate with friends. Oh well. For all those interested the “awesome green muscle car” is a 1971 Buick GS (Grand Sport). Thanks for the mention and the complement. -Xian's friend, Bryan

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Jeremy Knox :) I sent an email saying I won't be able to make it today at the train station. Hope you got it. Things have been pretty nuts on my end as well. I realized that I'd need ID to get my press pass. Only problem is that Jeremy Knox is my penname not my real name so I hadda call around like a lil monkey trying to get that straightened out. Luckily all is well now. It's a shame that cool stuff can't be more simple sometimes. I tried to find someone ANYONE interested in going with me to the festival and was declined on all fronts, the fuckers. Hehehe.

Anyway, will meet you there tomorrow at the Concordia Theatre Hall. Just so you'll recognize me, I'll be the one wearing a Misfits Horror Business T-shirt. It looks like this: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~uq7m-kgc/grave/hbus_7.gif

See you two there!

JK13