Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Concert Mini-Review: Hot Chip


As part of my Total Life Reboot I've been trying to get back into music, and have been listening to a lot of Last FM. I've then been cross referencing the new bands I've discovered while listening at work to the local concert listings in the Hour and Mirror weeklies to discover shows to go to. And that is how we ended up at Hot Chip last night at the Metropolis.

It was our second trip to the Metropolis, the first being around Christmas for the St-Phonic gig. It is one of the larger club style venues in Montreal, similar to the Commodore in Vancouver, only with two bars and a balcony. The place was already quite full when we got there, and happily enough we seemed to fall only slightly on the older end of the crowd.

We only caught a bit of the opening act, whose name escapes me -- which is probably for the best since they were terribly underwhelming (actually, kind of just plain terrible). Got drinks at the upstairs bar, which I guess worked out because the bartender first gave me half a shot before the dispenser thing malfunctioned, so he put in another full shot, then tipped over my cup and spilled about half my rum on the bar, so he added another full shot to what remained, meaning that my rum and coke was about 50/50 rum to coke.

After our bar misadventures we headed down towards the stage to meet up with Chris and Lee (different Lee). This is where we discovered that they actually have a guy with drinks on a tray selling them to people near the front of the stage. How civilized!

The show was great and it was great to see so many people (straight men included) dancing like little maniacs. I danced also like a little maniac and maneuvered my way towards the center of the stage.The lead singer reminded me a lot of Mark Mothersbaugh, only tinier and nerdier with an even more beautiful voice. L. was impressed with the musicianship of the group, especially considering their overtly dance-y sound. I was more moved by the lyrical content and energy.

Here are some tunes to check out:

Shake a Fist
Boy From School
Ready for the Floor

No comments: