Friday, July 15, 2005

I Need a New Day Job

Couple amusing anecdotes this week.

It all started last week. I'd been dealing with a guy in Mexico trying to buy over $700 worth of TV box sets online, which although not impossible, was unusual enough to set off the "fraud alarm" in my head. So, following procedure I politely emailed him and asked him to fax us a copy of his Visa card and his signature so that we could verify that he was in fact the card holder. To my surprise, the very next day we received a fax, which showed the front and back of a Visa Card and a Mexican driver's license. Holy cow, didn't expect that. Usually if it's fraud and I ask them to fax us anything they get scared off and we never hear from them again. Then I took a closer look. Buddy had forgotten to take the "Authorization" sticker off the front of the card so that the name and card number were both obscured. Nice try Rocket Scientist. I emailed the guy back informing him that the card number was obscured and that we were canceling his order. Oddly enough, he emailed back, insisting in broken English that he had called Visa to activate his card and to please mail him his DVDs, right now. Uh huh, right, sure. I again, very cordially, emailed him to let him know that we still needed evidence that the card in question did in fact belong to him, since as of yet he had not been able to provide such.

So, Monday morning I find a fax in our in-box which was a photocopy of a brand new order for $600 worth of TV box sets, a Texas ID and a different Visa card. The name on the order and the name on the credit card and the ID all matched, but guess where they wanted the DVDs shipped? That's right, Mexico. And besides that, the only way for him to know that I wanted photocopies of his credit card and ID would be if I had requested it. And I only do that if I suspect you of fraud. The time seemed right for the "You Are A Crook" email. This is an email template that was created long before I started at the store that is sent to let people know we are on to them (if they haven't already figured it out):

Unfortunately we are not as stupid as you must think we are and your order will not be filled.

We would appreciate it if you no longer placed orders through our website using stolen credit card numbers.

We have passed all accumulated information on to the relevant authorities. Consider yourself busted and have a wonderful day. We hope to visit you in jail soon.


Rocket Scientist actually responded:

what do you say???

The stupid person and busted is you.

I hope visit to jail and I demand millonarie.

Putos desgraciados
chinguen a su madre

fuck you


We tried our best to translate the last part, I think it had something to do with me being a pathetic whore/bitch and to go fuck my mother. If someone out there with a better command of Spanish curses than myself is able to better translate that section I would really appreciate it.

I'll save the other anecdote for another post.

No comments: