Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Movies I Watched Instead of Writing: Part 5

Layer Cake [2004] - Quick, clever, smart. Somewhat Chandler-esq in it's plot twists and comprehensibility (is that a word?) Daniel Craig is like a beautiful English cross between Steve McQueen and Callum Keith Rennie (heavier on the Steve). Colm Meaney, Michael Gambon & George Harris also rock. Great ending.

Seed of Chucky [2004] - Way better than I expected. No longer even pretending to be a horror movie, this is a surprisingly clever Hollywood satire and damn funny to boot. Billy Boyd wins my ever dying love & respect for voicing Glen/Glenda (!) Lots of "homages" (digs?) on De Palma & others. Some bad puns. But John Waters is in it!!!

Kingdom of Heaven [2005] - Went in with lowered expectations. Saw them met well enough. Orlando Bloom manages to prove that he's more than a pretty face, but I felt strangely detached through much of the film. Beautiful cinematography, but after the first 20 minutes (which I loved) the rest of it was too "Gladiator Redux" for me. And they killed off Kevin McKidd.

Dillinger (first 45 min.) - Wish I could have stayed up for this one. Directed by John Milius ("Conan the Barbarian"), it's obviously a "Bonnie & Clyde" cash in movie but in a lot of respects I think I prefer it. Also, Warren Oates rules.

No comments: