Thursday, May 29, 2008

Weekend Round Up: Sudoku, Housewarming and Improv

This should catch me up on round ups, now to tackle vlogging...

Friday: One of the unfortunate side effects of my recent weight loss is that not one of my bras actually fits me, so I decided to stop putting it off and went downtown to rectify the situation. Luckily, LaSenza was having one of their 3 for whatever sales so I was able to get a variety of colours and styles, meaning that I shouldn't have to do this again for some time. Then I wandered into Simons because none of my spring clothes fit either, and low and behold they were having a sale, so yeah, I bought stuff.

By the time I got home it was close to 9 PM and being that I had managed to get L hooked earlier in the week we opted to stay in and finish off Season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, we are lame.

Saturday: Our friend Isabelle was having her pendasion de la crémaillère (literally: "hanging of the chimney hook"), or housewarming for all you Anglos, so we trekked all the way out to St-Eustache in 450 area code. The event was actually quite lovely and we took advantage of the sun by lounging in the back yard. L had fun tormenting Isabelle's cat who had a booboo on his head and had been fitted with a plastic cone to keep her from picking at it. I gorged myself on cheese and red wine and managed not to be sick. At about 10 o'clock the kids were all getting restless so we caught a ride home with Annie and Mel. I felt kind of bad because I got the feeling they wanted to go out in Montreal after getting back, but L and I were bushed and actually passed out shortly after arriving.

Sunday: Despite getting to bed at a reasonable hour we were still quite late getting up and I lounged around doing sudoku for most of the morning. We had been planning to take advantage of Free Day at the local museums, but being that it was approaching late afternoon and things were no doubt quite zoo-y, we opted instead to stay at home and watch Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I started off loving the movie, but as most reviews I had read warned, by the time the third act rolled around all the cleverness and promise built up in the first half of the movie was replaced by the same tired horror movie cliches it had started off exploding. And they had the audacity to waste Robert Englund in a marvelous against type role as a Dr. Loomis type. However, compared to most contemporary American horror films it is still very smart and original enough in concept to totally recommend.

After wolfing down some homemade mini-pizzas for dinner we dashed down to the Theatre St-Catherine for Sunday Night Improv. I'd been meaning to check out the improv scene here for a while now and being that there were going to be special guests present as Sunday's show marked the end of the third annual Sketch fest, I figured now was our shot. It was an interesting format: competitive with coaches present and a real emphasis on scene building and character development. All of the performers were quite strong but the girl who ended up winning was definitely the strongest of the night. And a couple of the guys were promoting their Fringe show in a couple weeks which we will definitely try to check out.

No comments: