Monday, April 09, 2007

R.I.P. Bob Clark

I was saddened to learn this weekend of the passing of Bob Clark, director of the beloved Christmas Story, Porky's and one of my personal favourites, the original Black Christmas.

I had the honour of meeting Mr. Clark a couple of years ago when he participated in a panel discussion at Cinemuerte for the launch of a book on Canadian horror films from the "Tax Shelter" period. I had just seen Black Christmas and excitedly told him of my admiration for it. He was very gratious and struck me as a very genuine, optimistic man filled with passion for film and his upcoming projects.

While often cited as a Canadian director, Bob Clark had actually been born in Louisianna, but decided to settle in Toronto after shooting a movie there. Although not a native son, he considered himself an honorary Canadian and took great pride in his adoptive country.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few days before Clark and his son were killed, I finally got my reissue of "Black Christmas." It's such a shame that he's gone. He had an extremely wide-ranging career.

Welcome back, btw...

Meeko said...

It's good to be back. Too bad it had to be something so crappy that got me writing again. I hope someone in Canada does a nice tribute to him, but it's unlikely since we mostly seem embarrassed about Porky's success. And yet we just awarded a Genie to a mediocre action movie, largely because it broke box office records. Sigh.